Background: The Progressive Movement was a complex movement with both Republican and Democratic wings. The movement addressed some of the worst domestic problems of its time, but its mainstream largely ignored widespread and worsening racial injustices.
- The stockyards
- Scholarly source: Segregation, Racial Violence and Black Workers. In Black Workers Remember: An Oral History of Segregation, Unionism, and the Freedom Struggle, pp. 15-43.
- Scholarly source: “Let Each Reader Judge”: Lynching, Race, and Immigrant Newspapers
After reading Chapter Nine from The Jungle
and watching the The Progressive Era: America in the 20th Century
, use these sources and the textbook to address the following questions:
- What do you see as the most serious problem in the first decade of the 1900s?
- Why was this problem more serious than the other problems?
- How did Americans attempt to solve the problem?
- In what ways were they effective?
- In what ways did aspects of the problem still remain?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and properly cite any references. You may use additional scholarly sources to support your points if you choose. Your references and citations must be formatted according to APA style