- Explain how individuals can make healthier choices if they choose to eat at fast food outlets. Where are the “hidden calories” in typical fast food menus? What options exist at fast food restaurants for making healthier choices? Do you think it is possible to have a well-balanced diet made up of primarily fast food and why do you feel this way or not? What tools are available for consumers today to learn about the nutrient content of fast food menu items?
Complete the Food Label and Health assignment by providing a response of at least 300 words in APA format to this assignment. Include the following:
- Discuss what the 5/20 rule is according to the Food Label and You video. Include an example of a food label from your own pantry, clearly stating how the rule applies to specific nutrients on the food label.
- Outline how the 5/20 rule would be applied to at least two chronic diseases. For the diseases mentioned which nutrients should be reduced or increased?
- Discuss the proposed Food Label changes outlined in the Textbook explaining how the changes would help consumers understand food labels more effectively.
- Examine the food labels for three food items in your own pantry or refrigerator. Name the food products and build a list or a chart, indicating the following components:
- Total calories per serving
- Percentage of calories from fat
- Total amount of carbohydrates (in grams)
- Total amount of protein (in grams)
- Total amount of fiber (in grams)
- From your knowledge of nutrient intake and their associated chronic disease risk, are there changes you would make for the food labels examined?
The Grading Guide for Food Label and Health will be used for this assignment.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.