Chapter DB 3: Instructions/Prompt [READ]
Link to CH DB 3: CH DB 3
Chapter 5: “Dude.” “Dude?” “Dude!”
View the Budweiser “Dude” commercial below. (Picture quality is not optimal).
Dude – Bud Light (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
After watching the video, respond to each of the following questions:
- What were the different meanings of “Dude” that you observed?
- How does this relate to concepts from Chapter 5 – Language?
- Think about a word you use that serves multiple purposes Give an example from an interpersonal interaction in which you used the word. What were you trying to communicate in your use of the word?
Chapter 6: Body Language Shapes Who Your Are—Amy Cuddy.
Watch this video:Amy Cuddy TED Talk – Fake it Till You Make it (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.)
Answer the following questions:
- What are some examples of nonverbal expressions of power and dominance, according to Dr. Cuddy? Provide an interpersonal example of when you expressed power/dominance non-verbally.
- How do our nonverbal behaviors govern how we think and feel about ourselves?
- What is “power posing”? Provide examples of powerful and powerless poses from the video. Also, give an example when “power-posing” might help you in your everyday interactions.
- “Tiny Tweaks can lead to big changes”—what is the speaker referring to here? What “tweaks” will you make to improve communication?
- Explain the concept of “two minutes” and the benefits this can have in your daily interactions with others.