For this assignment, read the case for Carla, and then formulate thoughtful, analytical responses to each of the questions pertaining to that case. Your total response should be 3-4 pages in length and should be supported by references to the textbook or other credible sources.
Carla, a 24-year-old Hispanic woman, is seeking counseling for anxiety and depression that she attributes to problems in her current relationship. She and her partner have been having an increasing number of arguments recently, typically about Carla’s behavior when they go out and about Carla drinking too much.
In response to questions about her use of substances, Carla describes herself as a “social drinker.” Her typical pattern is to consume 3-6 drinks 2-3 times a week. She began drinking regularly (1-2 times per week) and heavily (to intoxication) at the age of 13, usually in the company of an older cousin or school friends. She continued this pattern through high school but cut back during her first two years of college due to lack of money to buy alcohol and more difficult access.
During her junior and senior years of college, Carla “came out” as a lesbian to her parents and family. She also resumed drinking heavily. After graduation from college, Carla and her partner of 3 years (Ana, age 24) moved into an apartment together, as both began working full-time. Carla and Ana are “out” at work and with both families of origin.
Carla reports that they both decreased their drinking at one point, due to concerns about their finances and interest in starting their new careers. Recently, both partners gradually increased the frequency and quantity of their drinking as they became involved with a social group of Latina lesbians and began routinely going to a gay bar.
To complete this assignment:
1. Identify and sort through the relevant facts presented by Carla.
2. Identify the problems, issues, and concerns that arise in Carla’s situation.
3. How would you classify Carla’s drinking?
4. Identify the positives and strengths of Carla’s situation.
5. Develop a list of options and an initial plan of action for intervention with Carla. Who should be included in your work with Carla, and why? How does Carla’s identification as a Hispanic lesbian affect the intervention plan/process?
6. Identify any additional information, research knowledge, and resources that are needed to develop and select options; identify ways to gather what you need; gather what you can.
7. Develop a strategy for human services practice with Carla. Be sure that you have a concrete and specific strategy for how you would address alcohol-related issues with Carla. Consider what kinds of reactions you might expect from her, and develop a plan for how to respond to them. What kinds of referrals in your practice community would you make and why? What are the intervention goals?
8. Identify methods for evaluating outcomes of your plan and next steps/revisions of the plan, depending on various possible outcomes.
9. Discuss implications for community intervention, prevention planning, social policy reform, and advocacy that are associated with Carla’s situation.