1. Given that IT is an important aspect of a business, is IT a commodity or a unique component of an organization’s competitive positioning? State your position and explain the basis of the position. (5 points)
2. Discuss in your own words why it is important to align an organization’s IT Strategy with its Business Strategy and explain who should take the lead on making sure the two strategies are aligned. (10 point)
3. . Explain in your own words the importance and benefits (associated outcomes) of using IT portfolio management in developing an IT Strategy (10 points)
4. Explain in your own words, what is the difference between core and enabling technology. (5 points)
-What evidence is the CEO using to suggest that Genex is not using technology competitively?
-Did Devlin need to hire Sandy, a “high-priced technology consultant,” to tell him technology at Genex was a mess?
-What is your recommendation for a strategy to successfully implement enterprise wide systems (such as SAP) at Genex?
6. [endif]Throughout the semester, we have discussed all or some of the basic management practices that are tools for IT and business managers to use; please discuss each of the five practices (5 points each) embedded in management practices to translate a company’s business strategies into programs and initiatives that IT can implement. (potential total: 25 point)
7. [endif]Explain in your own words, how IT provides a competitive advantage for an organization (5 points)
8. [endif]Do you think the strategy for managing IT is different from the managing non-IT functions within an organization? Yes or No? Explain in your own words your rationale for deciding ‘yes’ or ‘no’. (10 points).
9. [endif]Define the best practices in understanding IT value (10 points)
10. [endif]What is a technology roadmap and what are the benefits of having one (10 points)
11. [endif]What depth of IT understanding must a CIO leader have to be effective? (5 points)
12. [endif]The fifth management practice is ‘Innovation’, define innovation and identify and the drivers and challenges of organizational innovation (5 points).
13. [endif]Is there a trade-off between standardization and innovation? How are the two related in most companies? (10 points)
14. [endif]How should an organization decide whether to centralize talent in a shared organization or decentralize it into distributed groups? (10 points)
15. [endif]Identify and explain the four principles of good communications (10 points)
16.In the text “Adventures of an IT Leader” who is the kid and what was his background/expertise? (5 points)
17. In our reading there was a phase which was repeated through several chapters. The phase was “You’ve got to know what you don’t know” explain in your own words the point of this phase and why this is important. (20 points)
18. Define information technology (5 points)
19. Who is the ‘kid” in the ‘Adventure of an IT Leader’? (20 points)