200 words. MLA style
A Doll’s House is a play that lends itself to be analyzed from different perspectives. As stated by Deborah Appleman, “All literary theories are lenses through which we can see texts.” So, you may want to review the literary theories you studied in Week 2 to address question 1. In developing your main post, respond to each part of the prompt.
- After having read A Doll’s House, explain which literary theory you think it is more appropriate to discuss either the play as a whole or a specific aspect of it. If you think more than one theory is applicable, feel free discuss them too. Use the guiding questions listed under each theory (from the literary theories resource) to help you identify a pertinent theory.
- Discuss what literary elements or dramatic devices the author utilizes to achieve meaning and generate interest. For example, you may want to consider any or all of the following:
- How does the author use foreshadowing to hint at events to come in the play?
- What symbols do you see in the play? What do they mean?
- How does Ibsen use dramatic irony (when the audience knows something a character doesn’t) to generate suspense?
- Discuss Nora’s epiphany. What is the nature of her realization, and what are its consequences?