Suppose that you have been hired by university student health services to design a prospective cohort study to assess the following hypothesis among undergraduate students: Raw sushi consumption increases the risk of acute diarrheal episodes.Be sure that your design addresses the following elements:
- Refine the study hypothesis so that it is as specific as possible and contains all elements of a “good” hypothesis.
- How will you find and recruit participants?
- Will the study be retrospective or prospective?
- How will you define the exposure of interest?
- How will you define the outcome?
- What other information do you want to know about participants that may be related to the exposure of interest and/or the outcome (potential confounders)? Of these, what will you be able to collect and what will you be unable to collect?
- Which measures of disease frequency and association will you calculate?
- What are the strengths and limitations of your study?
- What other information would you like to know to design this study?