Jasmine Clark is a 18-year-old female who resides at home with her mother and father. She is a senior in high school and plans to attend the University of Nebraska next fall. This is her first psychiatric visit. She insists that she needs to go to the hospital because she is “mentally ill”. Her parents are with her at the pediatric office.
Chief Complaint: “I think I need help.”
Past Psychiatric History: No prior psychiatric treatment
Medical History: No acute or chronic medical conditions. Reports regular menstrual period. No history of sexual relationships. Urine toxicity negative and pregnancy test negative upon admission. No incidents of tic disorder.
This is an unfolding case study which we will be utilizing for this discussion
- In your opinion, what is mental illness?
- You are the nurse who will be interviewing the patient. What concepts do you need to consider before you prepare to go and speak with Jasmine? (Elaborate on at least 3)
- Based on the nervous system, what assessment questions could illuminate a potential mental health disorder? (Elaborate on at least 3).
- What information can be obtained from the parents
- Give one example of an ego defense mechanism statement that Jasmine states during your interview. (You must pick a different defense mechanism than your peers)
My example: ” I am going to the University of Nebraska. My dad has always said the best and the brightest are Cornhuskers. That’s me.”
EGO Defense Identification
Add a question: After you have analyzed the content from the discussion board, please add a question to the end of your initial post regarding the reading material for the week.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Responses need to address all components of the question, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis, and include peer-reviewed journal evidence to support the student’s position.