1. Describe the role of the governing board in a healthcare facility. Include the relationship of the board to the medical staff and to the chief executive officer (administrator). Does this structure appear to be an effective one?
2. What is the purpose of medical staff bylaws? Is a hospital required to have bylaws and, if so, who requires it?
3. Discuss the governance structure of the medical staff, including the committees that typically govern a medical staff.
4. What is meant by “medical staff credentialing” and why is it done?
5. Discuss the process for joining a medical staff. What must occur for an organization to ensure they are admitting a qualified individual to their staff?
6. Once someone is admitted to a medical staff, what duties and/or rights does this person have?
7. If disciplinary actions must be taken against a medical staff member, how does the legal concept of due process come into play?